WTAE-TV, the ABC affiliate in Pittsburgh, PA is looking for an experienced Reporter who has the ability to generate story ideas specific to Pittsburgh, write to video, and do compelling live shots. We are looking for a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running and wants to own the big story of the day. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive.
WTAE values strong enterprise reporting and we???re looking for someone who finds the stories that leads newscasts. The Reporter is someone who can bring the energy of live reporting to our anchor desk. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality, we???re looking for a Reporter who heads out into the field every day eager to break the big stories. We are looking for this market???s next leader who isn???t afraid to ask the tough questions and will hold those in power accountable. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills. You should be an avid local news consumer who knows what is happening and how to develop a network of community contacts. Your reel should demonstrate live reporting ability. Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards are a must. Must work with urgency and be dependable.
- Contribute hard news enterprise story ideas every day.
- Gather and deliver vo???s, vo/sots, packages and ENG/SNG/TVU live shots for daily newscasts, WTAE.com and other digital platforms.
- Participate in station-sponsored events both at the station and out in the community.
- Use ENPS to write scripts.
- Provide coverage of major stories for other Hearst and ABC Affiliates.
- Able to juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines.
- Regularly plan, gather and assemble stories on day-of news or special project assignments.
- Work with a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound.
- Coordinate with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content.
- Develop a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
- Contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day.
- Juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrate exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards.
- Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required
- Demonstrated ability to develop stories and cover breaking news
- Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production
- Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work
- Related military experience will be considered
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Can work in all weather conditions and long hours at times (overtime).
- Have a valid driver???s license, can drive large vehicles over long distances, and a clear driving record.
- Ability to work varied shifts, including overnights and weekends.
At Hearst Television we tell stories every day. Stories about people of all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and identities. That’s why, behind the scenes, we believe in being an organization as diverse and varied as the audience we reach, ensuring that the content we create is more compassionate, and more representative of the communities we serve.
Hearst’s benefit programs are modern, flexible and designed to focus on you. As a Hearst employee, you and your spouse or partner or dependents would have access to the following benefits.
- Medical | Dental | Vision
- 401(k) matching
- Emotional Wellness Support
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- LGBTQ+ Health Services
- Additional benefits to meet your and your family’s needs