Are you a highly motivated reporter that is dedicated to providing reliable and trustworthy news to Northeastern Pennsylvania? Do you want to be a voice for the people? Are you someone who can’t wait to get out there and make a difference in Lycoming County? Are you ready to be a part of preserving and protecting the integrity of local independent news in northeastern and central Pennsylvania?
If this sounds like you, come be a part of an outstanding news team today!
What is the role? WVIA has an exciting new position for a full-time Multimedia Reporter dedicated to the City of Williamsport and the Lycoming County region. This new opportunity has been generously funded through a FCFP grant. The Reporter will be responsible for playing a vital role in producing and reporting on content exclusive to the Lycoming County region via different WVIA public media outlets including digital, radio, and television formats. This position focuses on the many complexities of the region’s neighborhood news and follows local issues with in-depth reporting, community engagement, and documentary production. This role is based in the Williamsport region and will work out of the WVIA studios in Lycoming County.
Who we are: WVIA is the PBS and NPR public media affiliate serving over 22 counties in northeastern and central Pennsylvania. For over 50 years WVIA has been committed to serving the people by offering informational, educational, and entertaining content that enriches and expands viewpoints and serves as a catalyst for positive change. WVIA News is critical to fulfilling this mission and our rapidly growing News Team is looking for our next shining star!
What are the role responsibilities?
- Contribute to up-to-date news content (audio and video)
- Write/produce/anchor radio newscasts
- Operate radio console and radio automation
- Act as a field reporter
- Produce human-interest features
- Develop, produce, and post digital content
- Produce long form features for WVIA’s multimedia projects
- Maintain high journalistic and editorial standards to ensure that accuracy, thoroughness, diversity, fairness, and balance are met through all of WVIA’s platforms
- Consistently deliver a professional on-air presentation that adheres to WVIA standards
- Other duties as assigned
What are the job requirements?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Broadcasting, or related field is required.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience as a reporter, producer, correspondent or another on-air journalism-related role in a professional radio, television, and/or digital environment.
- Must reside in the Lycoming County PA area or have the ability to commute to this area easily.
Who succeeds in this role?
- Must have strong broadcast journalism writing skills
- Must possess impeccable journalistic integrity and judgement
- Must have previous experience using digital audio & video editing software such as Adobe Audition and Premiere
- Must exude an outstanding on-air personality with excellent presentation skills
- Must possess the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines
- Must have active social media posting as a journalist
- Must possess excellent interviewing skills
- Must have the ability to work independently in a multimedia environment
- Has excellent oral and written communication skills, especially relating to journalism
- Has the technical aptitude sufficient to operate a radio console, radio automation, and requisite equipment, (for example CD players, phone patches, Skype, Zoom, etc.)
- Is experienced with standard office computer software
- Is Fluent in English
- Has a valid driver’s license
Working conditions for the role include, but are not limited to:
- Must be able to attend work predictably and reliably.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for extended periods of time, crouch, reach, stand, and use stairs.
- Will have frequent use of a computer and phone for work purposes.
- Must be able to use hands and fingers to control such equipment, as well as for lifting, moving/placing items in various locations and writing.
- Must be able to use fingers and hands for typing.
- Must be able to carry up to 20 lbs. reliably and move equipment as needed.
- Must be able to regularly talk and hear.
Additionally, candidates must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and criminal background check.
What are some of the benefits at WVIA?
- A competitive base salary
- A low-cost Geisinger medical plan with a Health Reimbursement Account
- A dental plan with orthodontics
- A retirement plan with a company match
- Company paid disability and life insurance, including buy-up options
- Generous paid time off, including 14 paid holidays each year
- Amazing colleagues who believe in the mission of WVIA in service to our members
WVIA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment practices based on any protected category. Minority groups are encouraged to apply. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to those with disabilities.
No phone calls please. Due to the volume of resumes received, only qualified applicants will be contacted.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/74ylMpU61llkJh8NKfxXEb